Does Hunger Run in Your Family?
By: Rachel Dayan
You don’t need to visit an expensive ristoarante Italiano to experience the flavor of this classic dish. With this authentic recipe, you can recreate the taste of Italy at home anytime.
- 1 lb. penne or rigatoni pasta
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5-6 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into half circles
- 1 pepper, cut into strips
- 1 box mushrooms, sliced
- 28 oz. can of tomato sauce1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. basil, fresh or 6 frozen basil cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to directions on the box.
- In another pot, sauté onion in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté one minute more.
- Add the squash, peppers and mushrooms, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour over pasta and stir to combine.
Variation: For an impressive and delectable combination, sauté 1-2 cups of cubed eggplant in oil until lightly golden, and toss into pasta and sauce. For a professional finish, add a light sprinkle of toasted pine nuts.